Sunday, April 20, 2014

Cookies and Rubrics and Creativity!



As I think about this past week’s class, all I remember is cookies. Cookies actually taught me a lot more than I thought they would ever teach me! They taught me to be straightforward, clear, be relevant, and to include creativity.

When teachers create rubrics I think they sometimes forgot who they are initially writing for. Yes, the rubric is meant to help the teacher know what they are looking for when grading. But, when the teacher passes out the rubrics to the students so that they can see what the teacher is looking for, the writing is still teacher orientated. From the cookie exercise, I realize that the writing needs to be directed so the student, who didn’t create the rubric, can understand what the teacher is expecting. I can write in a rubric that judges the best chocolate chip cookie that cookie size must be equal to the size of an adult palm, but another person who reads the rubric might have a smaller or even larger hand. Thus, the rubric becomes ambiguous and the other person might think they fulfilled the rubric requirements when the teacher doesn’t think that they did. The rubric should tell the students, in a clear and straightforward way, what the teacher is actually looking for. Even if some students don’t look at the rubric and think it is useless, there might be one student who does. I was that student that would like to know what the teacher looked for in the essay. If the rubric is created and passed out to students, then it should be stated in a language that the student can understand and figure out what the teacher will be grading.

One thing that Dr. Horwitz said during the rubric lesson that stuck with me was the possibility to include a section about creativity in the rubric. I was surprised to see that our group had already included something that could be included under that section about including milk or not. Should teachers give their students the option to be creative in how they deliver their assignment? I think so. If we talk so much about multiple intelligences (like we do in my SPED 433 class) and differentiating the lessons (also again in SPED 433), then students should have the occasional option to be creative! By occasional I mean that sometimes essays are required per CCSS or school standards. But if a teacher assigns a project that can be made into a video, play, presentation, or some other creative option then the students should be allowed to! And the rubric should be aligned accordingly to that option. I think that when it is appropriate, there should be a section allowing students to be creative if they want to.

2 comments:

  1. Laura, I agree this assignment was extremely useful. You make a great point about remembering who you are writing the rubric for. It is important that is be non-subjective so anyone can pick it up and know exactly what is expected of them. As a student there is nothing worse then getting that assignment where the instructions are unclear and you really don't know what the teacher is looking for. This exercise was a great way of driving that point home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like many of us are in agreement that students should be able to use their creativity to demonstrate their learning. I too am learning in SPED 433 to differentiate and appeal to multiple intelligences yet it seems that in the real classroom this usually is not the case. I come back to that Shakespeare session I went to at the RIWP conference...he allowed his students to turn in an assessment in any way and he got that amazing video reproduction. I'm sure that was as pleasurable for him to grade as it was for them to create. Learning was then made fun and engaging, simply by giving a choice and not sticking to a tight structure. Really makes me wonder if I can have that same freedom and how beneficial it will be.

    ReplyDelete